Friday 6 May 2016

Why Japanese?

"Why? Why do you want to study Japanese?"

I get asked that a lot...






Why indeed? There is no single answer to that. Of course, the most common answer to this would be due to the influence of manga and anime, J-Rock, J-Pop and VK (Visual Kei). But...the more I listened to the language, the more I fell in love with the sound of it. 



Versailles
The Gazette
Akeboshi


Kumanoza shrine, Kumamoto, Japan
























Other factors would be; I do freelance proofreading, am interested in languages and would like to add Japanese translation to my niche. The art of writing the kana itself is a thing of beauty and I can only hope to emulate it half decently by the end of my studies. 

But my biggest hope would be a visit to Japan and being able to make my way across with confidence and meeting loads of different people, sharing their stories and learn from them about their own culture, beliefs and not just the "tourist brochure version". I like to go off the beaten track so to speak.








Ganbatte!


About this blogg, here's the thing. It is not a tutorial of "How To" (sorry to disappoint). It is more of a diary for marking my progress as I go along, celebrating my mini achievements and epic failures along the way. I hope it will keep me motivated and cheer me up to see how far I have come when I feel like I'm getting no where. 





Should anybody want to get in touch with me to suggest something helpful, or to correct a grammar/pronunciation mistake or just even to go along with me at this snails pace and start a conversation with that first basic konnichiwa, I am more than eager to hear from you and try to overcome this massive shyness and intimidation that I feel when it's suggested I join chat rooms (with  already established speakers).











No comments:

Post a Comment